Active Engagement in Learning!

Active Engagement in Learning!





Role playing, storytelling, drama






Thursday, March 7, 2013

Extrovert vs. Introvert

In today's class our discussion about how personality affects language acquisition stood out to me the most. The book described extroverts as individuals who may learn the spoken language faster because of their risk taking behaviors. When I think about my ESL students who were quick to learn the English language, I recall several of the students being extroverts. These students would comment, ask questions, and make statements on a topic. My quieter ESL students were also learning the second language, but did not feel comfortable speaking and sharing it with the whole class. These students who were introverts were able to express themselves better in writing. After reflecting on this part of the chapter, I realized it's important to identify ESL students as introvert or extroverts because the information would help the teacher find the most appropriate and effective teaching strategy to use with them.

3 comments:

  1. I also found this information quite interesting as well. I suppose I would be considered an introvert being I become nervous speaking out in class. However, this blog is a great way for me to communicate with my classmates in a way that I've never been able to do before.

    -Kaylynne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember learning about introverts and extroverts in psychology, but I don't recall reviewing these things in my education classes. It is important to become familiar with the introverts and extroverts in the class so that we can design activties to cater to their personalities.
    Thinking back, I remember working with classmates who were both introverts and extroverts. Having both types of personalities in a group is beneficial.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. I'm glad that we learned this information from our texts and, of course, by your group's presentation, it was further elaborated. I learned about extroverts and introverts in my cognitive abilities class and it is very true that you should never underestimate an introverted person. Just because a student may be quiet and shy, doesn't mean he/she is lacking intelligence.

    ReplyDelete