Active Engagement in Learning!

Active Engagement in Learning!





Role playing, storytelling, drama






Thursday, February 7, 2013

An effective teacher?

I once had this professor a few semesters ago who said," in my 13 years of teaching only 3 students have passed my class with an A, and not many were able to obtain a grade higher than a C too because this is a difficult class and not all can handle the work load". The professor said this the first day of class in a boastful way. Then I thought to myself, why is he boasting about the fact that very few people have passed his class with an A, let alone pass with higher than C letter grade because that does not make him a good teacher, but the opposite. That is a sign of the professor's ineffective teaching that has affected the students learning. This made me think of what my ED 110 professor said " not everyone can teach". You can be so knowledgeable about a subject, but knowing how to teach the subject is whole different ball game. The only way I passed the class was by teaching myself through the textbooks and researching online. I believe that the problem or cause of the few number of students who were able to pass his class is not because of the difficult work load, but the professor's teaching methods. What are your opinions about the professor I mentioned?

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like the professor did not adjust his teaching methods to meet the needs of the learners. I also think that because the professor began that class with intimidation to some extent, the students may have developed anxiety which may have resulted in their performance.
    This professor reminds me of the importance of creating a positive and enhanced learning environment for all students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clearly he is not "teaching" if most of his students barely pass his class. There is no such thing as the same type of learner. Everyone learns differently. If majority of his students are averaging a "C", that just goes to show that he needs to find a new method of teaching or a new career for that matter.

    ReplyDelete