Active Engagement in Learning!

Active Engagement in Learning!





Role playing, storytelling, drama






Saturday, February 23, 2013

"The one doing the TALKING is the one doing the LEARNING"


"the one doing the tALKING is the one doing the LEARNING"



the source of this quote is a mantra repeated frequently by my principal Mr. Fullo. After reflecting on the reading, I thought about the learning that takes place in my classroom. As a first year teacher, I have gained much of my knowledge through firsthand experience. teaching is a tough job, especially when dealing with learners who are resistant to putting in the effort. Utilizing evidence-based research, I have fortunately been equipped with skills necessary in ensuring that real learning takes place in my room through active class discussion. As advised by my principal, class lectures should be minimal, lasting anywhere from 5-15 minutes. In addition, a variety of instructional strategies are employed during lectures. For instance, after teaching a new concept I have my students team up with an "elbow partner." With their partner, students engage in "think/pair/share," an activity that requires students to think about new concepts critically and then share their thoughts and ideas. By doing this, students are able to think about concepts in different ways, thus, widening their worldviews. 

(Picture credit: https://www.marcellapurnama.wordpress.com)

2 comments:

  1. 'The one talking is the one doing all the learning." This is very true. I agree with you that teaching is not an easy job. Last summer I went home to visit my family. When school started there were not enough teachers so the principal asked me to substitute for one month. I thought it would be easy since I have worked in the school system here before. I taught here Kindergarten but back home they gave me upper grade level (middle school). I can work well with little kids but not with bigger kids.

    But teaching those middle school students have opened my eyes to see many things. I have learned so many things in that one month. Things that i want to improved and apply when i go back on to the classroom.

    I guess the reason why we learn more while teaching is because in order for us to teach a material we have to know about it and by doing that we do a lot of research and reading before we teach the material.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're sharing your experiences here as a first year teacher. I'm starting to stress out a bit because it's alost mid-terms, then summer and before you know it, I'll be student teaching. Although I feel somewhat prepared, I feel like I'll forget everything I've learned. It's awesome to know that even as teachers, you're all still learning like the rest of us:)

    ReplyDelete