Active Engagement in Learning!

Active Engagement in Learning!





Role playing, storytelling, drama






Wednesday, February 6, 2013

The Audiolingualism Approach

While reading the textbook, I came across the audiolingualism approach and recalled that I had found a great many text and tapes on the internet that used the approach. Here are two websites that host the material:

http://www.ielanguages.com/languages.html

http://fsi-language-courses.org/Content.php

The second link includes nearly all the languages that the Foreign Service Institute created, however, I included the first link because it actually has American English ESL lesson plans. These are all in the free domain being they were written during World War II and the copyright has expired.

I thought this was helpful to look over as it shows how the approach was used with textbooks and tapes.

-Kaylynne

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing these websites. The first website was pretty neat because it had all the languages in their respective categories (i.e. Romance languages, Germanic languages, etc.) The second website had Swahili and I think that would be an interesting language to learn. My husband took a Swahili class during his undergrad at UW and the one thing he taught me was "Hujambo, Rafiki" (don't mind the spelling) which means "Hello friend." I think that's the only phrase he took away from that class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We live in a world that has become increasingly global. Communication between countries and nations is vital to supporting such an interdependence. Whether on paper or in person, possessing the ability to speak more than one language is highly valued and websites such as the ones you shared are helpful to those who are seeking to communicate with an array of people from a variety of backgrounds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I am writing this response to your posting, I actually have not had time to look at the websites. I learned English with much of Grammar Tranlation and Audiolingualism and all the never-ending learning of grammar structures and the cassette tapes that we had to listen are still in my memory. I thought they were dreadful although now I appreciate them as they helped me understand the new language so much so that I am able to teach it to ESL students. I'll check out your links and see if they had the same materials and approaches that I went through or if there is anything I had missed despite my religious learning of English as a young child. Thank you so much for posting them.

    ReplyDelete