Active Engagement in Learning!

Active Engagement in Learning!





Role playing, storytelling, drama






Thursday, May 16, 2013

Service Learning Experience

Because I am an undergraduate, I was required to have two service learning experiences.  The first service learning experience I conducted was in my mom's 3rd grade classroom at Liguan Elementary.  I read two books to her students, Pete the Cat: Rocking in my School Shoes and The Gruffalo's Child.  They absolutely loved it and I had a great time as well.  After I read each book, I asked a series of questions just to see whether they comprehended the books.  I also gave out pencils and erasers as prizes.  Of course, every single child got a prize for participation.  They were so engaged and very willing to share their ideas.  It was amazing.

The second service learning I did was with my 75-year-old aunt.  I gave her a few options of books to choose from such as Chicken Soup for the Soul, Micronesian Legends, etc.  She asked me to read her the bible.  She said that her eyes weren't working too well anymore and it's been difficult for her to maintain her reading.  I was more than happy to read the bible to her.  I read verses from Matthew and Isaiah.  I am really glad that I got to share this experience with her.  I hope to visit her more often and read a few passages for her whenever I do. 

1 comment:

  1. We missed you yesterday in class. But, thanks for sharing your service learning on this blog. Best of luck with all your classes.

    ReplyDelete